Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Picture of Dorian Gray

What do you do when your family is under attack by an unseen enemy? How do you handle a situation that looks hopeless? In my life, I've tried to pretend like a problem doesn't exist or simply sobbing in my sorrow. No good results came out of that. The problems persisted and my eyes grew weary. I gazed from afar as everything I knew about family crumbled before my eyes. All of a sudden, things were different. All of a sudden, different realities that I didn't even know existed exposed themselves.Nobody likes to see there family torn apart., but it seems more and more prevalent and accepted as time goes on. What's the problem here? When you love somebody, you look out for their best interest. You consider them better than yourself. That's the issue. We live in a "Me, I, and My" society where other people's interests, dreams, and desires are...irrelevant. Family has been shoved to the bottom of the totem pole right next to God. Different aspects of the equation for a fruitful life are being deleted daily.

I have found in myself the desire to simply do it differently. Life, that is. I guess my biggest fear is knowing too much about the latest Jersey Shore episode, but knowing virtually nothing about my next door neighbor. I get distressed at the thought becoming a Sybil Vane falling for a Dorian Gray instead of making a close friend a homemade birthday gift. I run away from the status quo and think about a life somewhere else. Somewhere simple. A place where I'm not swarmed by fraternities and sororities, consumerism, college pageants, Gucci Mane concerts, The Game, lace fronts, football, name brands, drugs for the impressionable, sex, wannabe rude boys and video vixens.....it goes on. Somewhere simple, away from the fluff. The self-portraits of the world are horrendous, according to my own implications. People prance around looking young, eerily beautiful, and virtually flawless, but the self-portrait in their room takes on the burden of their corruption, growing older and uglier day by day. So many Dorian Grays. It will be the death of us to throw our age and wickedness on our paintings. It will literally kill us.


God is my only escape from these things. I feel that if I were to let go of God's word...I wouldn't make it. I would either succumb to the sameness/lameness of the world around me or get lost in some strange land in between. I want to find out what it means to be living. I do this daily. Pray steadfastly...don't stop. Do not be moved. Do not be shaken. You HAVE to believe that God is who He says He is and will do what He says He will do despite what your situations look like and despite what everyone around says.Who will survive in America? Who will survive in this world? Find your escape from the sameness/lameness of the world, of America, of your school. Back away from the television. Back away from dumb people...I'm not feeling the euphemisms today. "He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm." Proverbs 13:20 It's a sweet feeling to have a purpose for living. I've decided that if I ever get married and have a family, we will live and not die, but we will die in order to live. Amen.

Thought provoking movie that personifies the thought process of today.
"The Picture of Dorian Gray"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eAQWllCHHU

Peace and much love to you.

Sincerely,
Bri


No comments:

Post a Comment